Today we hear a story about two men walking to a town called Emmaus three days after Jesus died. They are joined by a mysterious stranger... read the story to find out what happens next! The story can be found in Luke 24:13-35 or in SPARK on p. 488. Then talk about these questions:
- How do you think the disciples felt on the road to Emmaus?
- How do you think they felt when they realized Jesus had been with them?
- I wonder, has Jesus ever been with me and I didn't know it?
- What rituals or practices help you experience Jesus?
Prayer of the Day (Be The Story Curriculum)
Jesus, you walk beside us every day, but we can’t see you. Sometimes you are with us through a mom or dad, grandparent, teacher, of friend. We know that you love us. Amen.
Look For Jesus Binoculars
Materials: toilet paper tubes, tape, markers/stickers/decorating stuff, yarn, hole punch or scissors
(Be The Story Curriculum)
- Option 1 (inside): Walk through your home. As you pass through each room, ask how Jesus might show up there. (e.g. in your bedroom when you read Bible or say your bedtime prayers; in the family room where you spend time together, etc.).
- Option 2 (outside): Walk or drive through your neighborhood. As you pass by different places, consider how Jesus might show up there. Do you experience Jesus at the baseball field or grocery store? In the kindness of strangers at the post office or the service you receive at a restaurant?